Thursday, May 31, 2012

Jersey Girl.

People always ask me where I'm from when they hear me talk. Yes, I'm from the North East. Yes, I might say bag, water or sauce differently then you..but for gawd sake's, I'm not touched by an angel. Not that there's anything wrong with that. However, people repeat these words I say with my slight Jersey accent back to me like I'm some sort of Jersey meat head who's been raised by wolves and slightly deaf in one ear. Not that there's anything wrong with those things either. Point is, YES - I have an accent. Most people do except for newscasters, and I believe they're dead inside. My mom is from Jamaica, my dad is from Haiti, my husband is from Holland - never have I ever heckled them when they talk to me. And YES - there is a thing called Jersey pride, and although it's not my nationality, I have it. I'd just like to celebrate the good things that have come out of The Garden State ... because it's not all this ..
or ..
and we'll never forget ...
New Jersey has also produced her..
and her...
and come on, you know this was coming ...
So the next you want to mock me, have me say water, paper, sister, or any other word ending in er for your own amusement, just know that it's not fun for me, it's not educational for you, and maybe we can think about the awesomeness that Jersey has produced. I'm just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment